Mindfulness Based Stress Reduction
This course is modeled on the Stress Reduction Program at the University of Massachusetts Medical School. Research has shown that participants in Mindfulness Based Stress Reduction (MBSR) Programs report lasting decreases in symptoms such as pain and anxiety, increased ability to cope with chronic pain, greater ability to relax, increased energy, improved self-esteem and improved ability to cope with stressful situations.
Each course cycle lasts eight weeks and consists of:
- Guided instruction in mindfulness meditation practices
- Gentle, mindful stretching and Yoga
- Group dialogue and inquiry to enhance everyday awareness
- Daily home practice assignments
- CDs with guided instruction and a workbook
- Orientation: Feb. 18, 6:30 – 9:00 PM
- 8 Thursday Evening Sessions: Feb. 15; Mar 10, 17, 24, 31; Apr 1, 7, 14, 28
- One Sunday Session: Apr 3, 10:00 – 4:00
- Orientation: Feb 19, 6:30–9:00 PM
- 8 Friday Evening Sessions: Feb 26; Mar 11, 18, 15, 31; Apr 8, 15, 19
- One Sunday Session: April 10, 10:00 – 4:00
- Orientation: May 5, 6:30 – 9:00 PM
- 8 Thursday Evening Sessions: May 12, 19, 16; June 1, 9, 16,23; July 1
- One Sunday Session: June 12, 10:00 – 4:00
- Orientation: May 6, 6:30 – 9:00 PM
- 8 Friday Evening Sessions: May 13, 20, 17; June 3, 10, 17, 24; July 1
- One Sunday Session: June 19, 10:00 – 4:00
MAINTAINING OUR PRACTICE - a 4 week class for MBSR graduates
Thursday evenings, 6:30 - 9:00pm
Class: November 5, 12, 19 and December 10
Retreat: Sunday December 6
Research has shown that participants in Mindfulness Based Stress Reduction (MBSR) Programs report:
- Lasting decreases in symptoms such as pain and anxiety
- Increased ability to cope with chronic pain
- Greater ability to relax
- Increased energy
- Improved self-esteem
- Improved ability to cope with stressful situations
Registration and Information:
To register, contact Lucia McBee at 646 342-4130
Instructor: Lucia Mcbee, LCSW, MPH, CYI has taught Mindfulness-Based Stress Reduction in a wide variety of settings to college students, elders, people with chronic illness, family and professional caregivers. She participated in professional training in Mindfulness Based Stress Reduction at the Center for Mindfulness, and in Mind/Body/Spirit Medicine at the Center for Mind/Body Medicine. She is a certified Kripalu yoga teacher. Ms. McBee regularly publishes and presents at national and international conferences. Mindfulness-Based Elder Care, her book based on her innovations in adapting mindfulness and complementary medicine for elders and their caregivers was published in 2008. She is currently co-authoring a book on Mindful Yoga for Stress Reduction.
Please click here to access the mp3s of all the guided formal mindfulness practices taught in this class at the Center for Health and Healing.
Preparing for Surgery and Medical Procedures: Integrative Approaches to Practical Preparation
Taught by integrative nurses — Caroline E. Ortiz, RN, MSN, MPH and Christine Gilchrist, RN, MSN, MPH — this integrative consult will help you prepare for surgery and optimize your healing potential.
This one-on-one session is designed to help you experience and practice various integrative modalities (breathing with awareness, meditation and imagery, biofeedback, essential oil therapy and restorative postures), and learn how to incorporate them into your care both pre- and post-surgery.
Private sessions — by appointment only — at $150 are a true investment in healing.
Call 646 935-2265 to schedule an appointment.